Location & History
Grape grower J. W. Keeler purchased the house from its original owner, J.M. Kellog in 1918. The home remained in the Keeler family for 3 generations. The original property was purchased with a barn, which was replaced with a garage between 1946 and 1952. An outhouse was also removed during that time and indoor plumbing installed. The Keeler home was purchased as residence for the Flavey family in 1977, and purchased by Buck and Ellen Laufersweiler in 1989 with the intention of opening an inn. Mr. Lauferweiler, a master carpenter, added to both the lower and upper living space creating a four bedroom structure with innkeeper living quarters. He also transformed the floors with beautiful hardwood designs and updated the kitchen. The bed and breakfast originally opened as Lauferweilers’ but the name was changed to Blushing Rose because it was too difficult to pronounce. About 2001 Blushing Rose was purchased by Patty and Dick Leonberger, continued the Blushing Rose tradition as an excellent bed and breakfast. On March 3, 2013, Marianne and Sam Chalk took over and continued to grow the inn. The most recent owners Tami and Scott Reinhart, who took over in 2016 are continuing the same tradition of excellence at Blushing Rose Bed and Breakfast.
The Blushing Rose Bed and Breakfast was previously the Keeler Homestead, built in 1843, an Italianate structure mingled with Greek revival. The main house has a simple hipped roof with a cupola that could be opened for air circulation.